Healthy Beef Burritos

I've often talked about one of my go-to healthy meals, Tex Mex to go, and sometimes I mix it up and make it into a healthy beef burrito.  It's super easy and delicious!

I like to make a big batch, so I start with 2 packages of Laura's lean ground round or sirloin (4% fat).  Lean beef still has plenty of flavor, try it if you typically go with something fattier.  I'd be surprised if your family even notices the difference.


Then, I add two packages of low sodium taco seasoning and mix with 1.5 cups of water and bring it to a simmer until the meat has absorbed all the seasoning.  Meanwhile, I heat up a large can of low-fat refried beans.  

For me, the key to a delicious burrito is fresh pico de gallo (salsa), which is very easy to assemble.  I make it the same way I make guacamole, just without the avocados.   Just dice up tomato, white onion, jalapeno (deseeded for milder flavor) and cilantro and toss it all together with a squeeze of lime.


When the beans are heated through and the meat is ready, I assemble my burrito on a whole wheat tortilla (that I warmed up on the stove or in the microwave) and add low-fat cheese and sour cream- just a touch. 


Let me know if you try it and how you like it. 

Share on :
Healthy Beef Burritos
Healthy Beef Burritos
Reviewed by jembe
Published :
Rating : 4.5