Clear Skin & Non-Oily Hair

During high school, my skin (especially on my cheeks) would break out pretty bad.   I heaped on the makeup to try to hide it, which I'm sure only exacerbated the situation.  My skin was never "perfect", but later, when I got on the birth control pill, my skin cleared right up.  I also noticed that it kept my hair from getting oily.  I got off the pill awhile ago and ever since, I've noticed my hair getting greasy and my skin not looking as clear.  My forehead and the area around my jawline was full of little bumps under the skin. After about two months, I ended up going to my dermatologist and he prescribed Acanya, which is a combination of Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) and Cindamycin Phosphate (1%), and also told me to use Witch Hazel as a toner after washing with Cetaphil cleanser (which I've been using since high school).

So far, so good.  My skin is looking much clearer.  I wish I had visited my dermatologist when I was pregnant with my son- my back/shoulders broke out terribly in big, ugly blistery pimples.  We don't have to suffer!  Benzoyl Peroxide is available over the counter without a prescription, but I would recommend finding a good dermatologist in your area.  It's amazing how bad skin can affect your self-esteem.  Even though my break-outs weren't terrible recently, I was still self-conscious about it.


For my hair, my dermatologist gave me samples of this DHS Clear Shampoo, but he was out of the conditioner.  The shampoo has no scent, but lathers well and seems to be working.  I couldn't find this brand at my drug store, so I just ordered the shampoo and conditioneron Amazon (it's available on Prime).  I was also advised to let my hair get oily so that my hormones can balance out my oil production.  Oh man, is this hard to do?!  But, I found a cornstarch/baby powder combination at my grocery store that I love to use between washings if my hair is oily.  It's better than straight-up baby powder because it's not as strong-smelling.  It actually feels really cool and nice on your scalp when you put it in and just a little goes a long way!


But, before I headed to the doctor, I started researching online what I could do at home to help the acne situation.  I came across the Alkaline diet, which is supposed to help balance your hormones my keeping your body's blood pH level slightly alkaline at 7.35-7.45.  Below 7 is said to be acidic and above 7 is alkaline.  I'm new to this info, but here are two charts that explain which foods are on the acid-forming side, and which are more alkaline.

ALKALINE DIET




NO SUGAR.  That's what I'm working on eliminating.  

HEALTHY FATS- I'm adding back in healthy fats like a few crushed almonds and slices of avocado on my salad, cooking my protein pancake in a teaspoon of coconut oil instead of cooking spray.  

FRUITS/VEGETABLES- eat to your heart's content.  I realize I hardly eat any food- instead always serving them to my son.  I need to partake in this goodness! 

WATER- Spring, river, or tap water is completely neutral.  I'm doing good on my water intake.  Keeping my insulated water bottle nearby helps. 

The biggest no-no's on the Alkaline diet are coffee, alcohol, processed foods, sugar, salt, and red meat.  Coffee is the hardest for me to give up, I drink two cups most days.  


How do you keep your skin clear?  Have you noticed whether your diet affects your skin?  













Share on :
Clear Skin & Non-Oily Hair
Clear Skin & Non-Oily Hair
Reviewed by jembe
Published :
Rating : 4.5