Black Beans & Rice with Apple Salsa (via The Chronicles of Home)


You should have seen me last week, sitting at Starbuck's and reading emails/comments from readers after this blog just launched.  I was so happy to see that people were reading, but suddenly, I felt a little overwhelmed thinking, "Uh oh, what have I gotten myself into, trying to keep up with two blogs (researching, writing, photographing for Honey We're Healthy, and also doing home projects and photographing and writing them up for Honey We're Home), responding to reader emails and comments, taking care of my family, exercising 5 days a week, shopping and eating healthy, keeping the house clean and laundry done, interacting with friends, doing contract legal work (I was on a deadline), and searching for a permanent job all at the same time?"   

I'm usually pretty good about figuring out what's important and getting that done and not worrying about the rest, because it tends to work out and life has its seasons of reaping and sowing.  And GOD so knows what we need before we even do.

So, I should not have been surprised when, in the stack of Honey We're Healthy emails I was reading (when I should have been working), there was a very kind and eloquently written message from a blogger named Jennifer, asking if I would be interested in having her as a food contributor here.



Thank you Lord, You know just how to loosen the pressure and bring some relief!  

As soon as I visited Jennifer's blog, The Chronicles of Home, I was instantly smitten with her sweet nature, gorgeous home, and beautiful food photography that features healthy recipes. 

Jennifer might have been surprised at how EAGER I was to bring her on board!  We decided that she will contribute two food posts a month here and I'm so excited to be introducing her today.  Thank you Jennifer- you are just what I needed!  Please enjoy this recipe and check out her blog!  I hope you'll become a new follower


* * * * * 

I’m Jennifer from The Chronicles of Home, where I share home and furniture projects and the pursuit of good food.  I’m thrilled to be a food contributor on Honey We’re Healthy!  I’m a mom to two young daughters, two and four years old, and have made healthy eating a priority in our family.  It’s always been my hope that my daughters would develop a taste for good food from a young age and so far, so good.  All the recipes you see here on Honey We’re Healthy and on The Chronicles of Home are eaten by both the adults and the children in our house.  Eating healthy for me means lots of fruits and vegetables, good sources of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.  I also want my meals to be delicious, so always strive to combine healthy eating with full flavor.  I hope you’ll be inspired to cook something tasty and be healthy tonight!


Black beans and rice is a staple Mexican side dish but this version is a far cry from the greasy beans and white rice you’ll find in most Mexican restaurants.  

Brown rice is swapped for the white and contributes a satisfying nutty flavor to the dish.  It can also help reduce bad cholesterol and is rich in manganese, which is essential for bone health.  

Black beans are little powerhouses with their high fiber, protein, and strong antioxidant properties.  Here they’re simmered with onions, vitamin-rich bell peppers, and a savory blend of spices.  

The addition of lean chicken breasts, roasted with heart-healthy canola oil and shredded, is what really makes this dish a meal.  Everything is finished off with a bright and simple apple salsa that elevates this typically “ordinary” side dish to culinary status.

Serves 4
Ingredients
1 c. brown rice
2 chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
2 tbsp. canola oil, divided
1/2 c. red onion, diced 
1 red pepper, large diced
1 yellow pepper, large diced
I green pepper, large diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground coriander
3/4 tsp. ground cumin
4 c. chicken broth, divided
2 15-oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 Gala apple, cored and diced
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
1 tbsp. shallot, minced
1 tsp. lime juice


Directions

Preheat oven to 400º.

Combine brown rice and 2 c. chicken broth in a medium saucepan.  Cover with a lid and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.  Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.

Rub 1 tbsp. canola oil over chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper.  Roast in the oven until cooked through, about 20 minutes.  Let cool slightly and shred with forks.

Meanwhile, heat remaining tablespoon of canola oil over medium high heat.  Add red onion and peppers and cook until softened, 6-7 minutes.  Add garlic, chili powder, coriander, and cumin and stir for a minute or two.  Add remaining 2 cups of chicken broth and the black beans and bring to a boil.  Simmer uncovered about 15 minutes, until slightly thickened.  Season mixture with salt and pepper.

In a small bowl, combine apple, parsley, shallot, and lime juice.  Stir together and season with salt and pepper.

Layer rice, beans, chicken, and apple salsa on plates and serve!

*Optional additions – if you like cilantro you can substitute 2 tbsp. of it for the parsley.  If you like a little heat, mince a jalapeno pepper and add it to the apple salsa.

Adapted from recipe here



* * * * * 
Thank you Jennifer!  Rice and beans is one of the only things my son likes, so I'll be making this for sure!

Are you particularly interested in certain types of recipes (breakfast, lunch, dinner, vegetarian, seasonal, healthy dessert)??  Let us know- we'll be reading the comments for ideas from you. 

Have a great weekend everyone!





Share on :
Black Beans & Rice with Apple Salsa (via The Chronicles of Home)
Black Beans & Rice with Apple Salsa (via The Chronicles of Home)
Reviewed by jembe
Published :
Rating : 4.5